Friday, February 15, 2013

Where in the world is, Laura?

And now I have just gotten ahead of myself. I should probably tell you where in the world I am! When I started telling people the most common reaction I got was "That is so cool! Where is that exactly?". Although I am sure most of you have looked on a map to see I will let you know where I am anyway. Jordan is in the Middle East (mind blow!) and about the size of Indiana. Isn't is little and cute!


And is a muslim country...


It is surrounded by Syria, Iraq, Israel, and Saudi Arabia (you can sort of count Egypt if you want, I mean it is on this map). And then there is the dead sea! The lowest point on earth! Also on this map you will see it's capital Amman.


Jordan is separated into what are called governants (muHaadaDHa). There are 12 and they are as follows; Irbid, Al Mafraq, Ajlun, Jarash, Al Balqa (where I am!), Az Zarqa', Madaba (where I had my pre service training), Amman (different from Amman city, the capital), Al Karak, Al Tafilah, Aqaba, and Ma'an.


They are as culturally and climately (yea, that isn't a word but I think you get what I mean) different as the states back in the U.S. The closer you get to the dead sea the warmer it gets and the higher up in the mountains; Ajlun, Jarash, the colder it gets (makes sense, lower altitude = warmer, high altitude = colder). As for culturally, depending on where you are it can be very conservative (strict separation of boys and girls, what is allowed in public and in homes, what to wear, how to act, etc.). Other places are more liberal and the above is a little more relaxed. Amman the capital, is a whole other story. It is like the U.S. in Jordan. Almost everything in the U.S. is there but it tends to be a lot more expensive than any other place in Jordan.

XOXO
Laura






2 comments:

  1. Haha I totally needed this, I'm so geographically challenged

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete