Thursday, October 25, 2012

Packing... is this real life?

Welp that time has come where I NEED to pack... I have put this off because I honestly, strongly dislike packing. I always pack too much and then forget the important things. For example I will pack my stuffed animal but then forget my cell phone charger, underwear, or ehem feminine products (EEEWWW... that was for my male readers... all 1 of you! Thank you Mr. Keane). So instead of actually packing I am writing about packing...

Focusing back on my packing efforts. I have too much crap!!

Here is my bed... 

I think I have made my point. I need to put them into a camping backpack and a rolling duffle and a carry on. Unless you have tried to pack for two years of your life, I don't EVER want to hear you complain about packing because you don't know the meaning of packing.

Welp, that is my packing post. To close this I would like to add a suggested packing list from one of the current Jordan peace corps volunteer.

Packing list (girls, will be a little different for boys)

Bags
1 Backpacking bag
1 Camera/electronics bag
1 Rolling duffel bag
1 Purse
1 School bag
4 Luggage locks

Clothes
Accessories
- 1 Gloves
- 1 Watch
- 1 Winter hat
Bottoms
- 4 Casual pants 
- 3 Dress pants
- 1 Leggings
- 3 Long skirts
- 1 Sports pants (exercise/pajamas)
- 2 Sports shorts (exercise/pajamas/swimwear)
Outerwear
- 2 Cardigans
- 1 Fleece coat
- 1 Rain jacket
- 2 Sweaters
Shoes
- 2 Dress shoes
- 1 Flip flops
- 1 Hiking boot (I did not bring a pair and I wish I did, but you can have them shipped if you do not have room because you will probably not need them during training)
- 1 Rain/Snow boot (there may be no need if your hiking boots are waterproof)
- 1 Running shoe
- 1 Sturdy sandal (Chacos, Tevas, etc.)
Socks
- 5 Dress
- 3 Heavy wool
- 2 Hiking
- 2 Long
- 5 Regular (black is better than white)
Tops
- 2 Polo shirts
- 3 Short-sleeved dress shirts
- 2 Long-sleeved dress shirts
- 1 Tunic
- 5 Shirts
Underwear
- Bras
- 2 Long-sleeved shirts
- 2 Long underwear bottom
1 Light
1 Medium
- 2 Long underwear top 
1 Light
1 Medium
- 4 Tank tops
2 Pajamas
2 Undershirts
- Underwear

Electronics
Canon 5D Mark II DSLR with lens (this is obviously optional, you can replace this with other art supplies, a musical instrument, more clothes, etc.)
- 1 Extra battery
- 2 Memory cards
- 1 Microphone
- 1 Microphone mount
- 1 Tripod
Canon Powershot S95
- 1 Extra battery
- 2 Memory cards
Headphones
MacBook Pro
- 1 Extra battery
- 1 Extra adapter
2 Western Digital Hard Drives (you can bring one, but I’m obsessed with backing up)
- 1 2TB Desktop
- 1 2TB Portable

Toiletries
Chap sticks (no need to bring a lot, you can easily find them in Jordan)
Cosmetics (I did not include this for myself because I do not wear make-up)
4 Deodorant sticks
Earplugs
Eyewear
- Contacts
- 2 Eyeglasses
- 1 Sunglasses
Lunapads
Medication
2 Nail clippers
Q-tips (no need to bring a lot, you can easily find them in Jordan)
1 Razor
- 4 Extra razor blades
2 Shampoo bottles
1 Sunscreen bottle (lotion will be provided by medical, but I prefer the spray)
Tissues (no need to bring a lot, you can easily find them in Jordan)
Toilet paper (no need to bring a lot, you can easily find them in Jordan)
1 Toothbrush
- 4 Extra toothbrush heads
2 Toothpaste tubes (no need to bring a lot, you can easily find them in Jordan)
4 Towels
- 1 Body
- 1 Face
- 1 Hair
- 1 Hand
2 Vaseline jars (no need to bring a lot, you can easily find them in Jordan)

Personal
Arabic language materials
- Books
- Flashcards (can be very difficult to find in Jordan)
Batteries
- 3 AAA
Books
4 Compression bags
Credit card
Debit card
Driver’s license
DVD case
DVDs
Envelopes
Eye mask
2 File folders (you will receive a lot of paperwork)
Flashlight (small for travel, Peace Corps will give you a big one later)
Host family gift
2 Notebooks
Passport photos
Pens
1 Pepper spray
Personal passport
Pillow
2 Plug adapters
Pocketknife
Small sewing kit
Sleeping bag (32F/0C degree)
Stamps
Surge protector
Wallet
Water bottle
Zip lock bags
- Sandwich
- Gallon

Oh and I had to buy almost all new clothes... 


XOXO
Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment